Shalom. We are delighted that you have discovered our website. As you learn about our unique programming and wonderful Barnert community, we hope you will chose to give your child and your family the gift of Jewish learning and identity “Barnert-Style!”
We know families have so many competing priorities. That is why we have developed a new design for Jewish education, one in which you and your child will learn, do and be Jewish in meaningful, relevant, and FUN ways.
There is a lot to take in. If at any point in your web-search you have questions, please give us a call at (201) 848-1027. Here is a short description of our program, by grade:
Grades K - 2
- A chance for your children to build friendships within the Jewish community that will last a lifetime.
- Help them create a core understanding of Jewish knowledge through creative programming.
- Enjoy learning Hebrew words and celebrate holidays.
- Reinforce important Jewish vales like kindness, giving Tzedakah, and Tikkun Olam (Repairing the World).
- Choice of session: Sunday morning, (9:30 - 11 am), or Wednesday afternoon, (4:30 - 6 pm).
- Students enjoy social time with bagel breakfast (Sunday classes) or snack (Wednesdays classes) together. This is a very important aspect of the program, as our children will group up together as each other’s Jewish peers. And who doesn’t like food!?
- Your child’s first introduction to reading Hebrew. They are so excited to begin this right of passage and are given every support they need to be up to the challenge!
- *Please note that Barnert Temple requires that your child begin Religious school no later than third grade to receive a Bar/Bat Mitzvah date.
Grades 3 - 6
- In grades 3 - 6, students attend two to three “courses”, one being Hebrew. Jewish Journey Project Barnert Temple is our innovative new design that includes a flexible, two semester per year schedule offering course choices based on topics taught through different learning modalities (art, music, theater, cooking, etc). Download our Winter/Spring 2017 course catalog here.
Grades 4 – 6
- Learning Hebrew at your own pace through our fun and engaging Mitkadem program.
- An age appropriate curriculum on the Holocaust and Jewish ethics. Students are also engaged in preparing for Bat/Bar Mitzvah.
Grade 8 - 12
- 8th and 9th grade continue their Jewish journeys with Sara Losch and Rabbi Steiner, respectively.
- 10th grade is Confirmation. Students spend the year learning with Rabbi Frishman, exploring more mature topics in depth. Students adore this class and their very intimate time with Rabbi Frishman. The year ends with a beautiful Confirmation ceremony, during which students teach the adults.
- 11th and 12th graders meet once a month with Rabbi Frishman to expand the exploration of their Jewish identity and how being Jewish helps inform their own personal lives and the world in which they live.