The Barnert Difference
Click here for our Preschool Brochure - January, 2017
Click here for our Kindergarten Brochure - January, 2017
Click here for our 2017-2018 Preschool and Kindergarten Application
As part of Barnert Temple's supportive Reform Jewish community, the Barnert Temple Preschool is committed to helping our students become critical thinkers and creative problem solvers, while creating a foundation for Jewish ethical and spiritual growth. Our long-term goal is to graduate children who become positive forces in our world: "mensches." We call this the Barnert Effect.
We address the whole child by providing skills to grow spiritually, academically, socially, and creatively. We teach our children self-regulation (often called executive functioning) skills that help them to regulate their social, emotional, and cognitive behaviors. Research shows that success in executive functioning at an early age has a stronger association with academic achievement than reading or math skills. Our teachers work diligently to provide stimulating activities where children will thrive. We encourage students to take cognitive risks, to think out of the box, and to use their problem solving skills to answer "what if?".
At Barnert, our children:
- Spend most of their time playing and engaging with developmentally-appropriate material and other children – not sitting quietly for long periods of time.Have free access to construction materials, books, paint, and stimulating props for pretend play.
- Have outdoor playtime scheduled every day. Our gorgeous play space stimulates creativity and allows for various types of outdoor play including a multi-sensory mud kitchen and community garden.
- Have time to work on projects and long periods of playtime and exploration.
- Gain a sense of pride in their Jewish culture and heritage through enjoying the holidays, making challah, celebrating Shabbat together and learning to speak Hebrew.
- Receive individualized attention. The staff ratio of teachers to children is high so teachers can work with individual children, small groups and whole groups at different times during the day.
- Are welcomed to classrooms that are bright and cheerful. Children’s artwork, dictation, and invented spelling is displayed.
- Are learning numbers and the alphabet in the context of their experiences - such as the exploration of plants and animals, cooking, or serving snacks.
- Learn through a curriculum that adapts to the unique make-up of the class – it follows their interests and abilities, allows for exploration and hands-on experiences.
- Engage in programs focused on social-emotional development that instill Jewish values of kindness, respect for others, and taking care of the earth.
- Look forward to coming to school every day. They know they are loved and cherished here. They develop confidence and a love for learning.
We hope that joining our Preschool is the first step in your family's relationship with the Barnert Temple and the Jewish community. We welcome interfaith families. Schedule a visit and feel the Barnert Temple Preschool difference for yourself
Director of Lifelong Learning
(201) 848-1027 or [email protected]
|FOR MORE INFORMATION, CONTACT ALICE BERDY AT
(201) 848-1027 OR [email protected].